Thursday 6 November 2008

A Freeman Focused

This is the object: Through my focus group with a number of Morgan Freeman fans/viewers, gather information that is extorior to my own thoughts and opinions. I have selected a fil film clips of Freeman, all which present him at his best - performance wise. I am going to show these clips to my focus group(s), for them to familiarize with the work of Morgan, as the clips will be followed with a series of questions that are in strong referance to my SSR's area of investigation.

*Expectations: To receive varied ideas on what and how Morgan Freeman's performances, across a body of films, effects his audiences - hopefully, ideas that reinforce the current ideaology that I have been following since the beginning of this project.

Begin







'How does Morgan Freeman (on screen) appear at first sight? What's your first impressions?'
LR: He looks like a Grandad, so you recognize him as an old, trusted, mature figure.
JS: Even inthe roles where he's not that trusted, he seems like a trusting character.So even in roles where he seems a bit mysterious and can be a bit nasty, you can still go 'C'aww, Freeman!'.
LR: 'Go on Grandad!'
Me: So you would say he is a lovable character?
JS: With his white hair, and his crazy (dinky) spots.
Me: So his physical attributes!...
JS: Mhum. He seems quite proper...
Me: And his got bold, strong eyes...
LR: I think it's the grey hair.
Me: ...they're not that intimidating.
JS: I like to think that no matter what film you watch that includes Freeman, his performances differs - obviously due to character - but he's got that same feel to all of his acts. You can always go 'That's a Freeman.'
Me: That's exactly what I was going to ask next.
'Do you see a recurring theme between Morgan Freemans performances? And what is it that links them together?'
LR and Joe: Yes.
LR: In his films, he is always the moral guardian.
JS: - Yep! -
LR: Like 'Don't shoot me in the face. I am God, so listen to me as I am the best.
JS: And in films like Se7en and Bruce ALmighty, he is always, higher than others. He has this higher status. In Bruce Almighty - God. In Se7en - The chief. In The Shawshank Redemption - the one that's been there a long time and knows best. He's higher up in power to everyone else.

What do you think of Morgan Freeman's voice? In reference to factor such as volume, pace, pitch, clarity.
JS: He's recognizable. He does narrative pieces doesn't he. It's quite passive. Even when he shouts, it's not like a crazy man.
Me:There's not that much aggression or stress.
LR: I don't think he could do any characters that are scary, because his voice is just too... it's like Barry White.
Me: Monotone?
LR: Yeah. And his voice is consistant. Always.
JS: Yeah.
Me: It suggests the idea that he never needs to bother changing his voice to get his message across, ?
JS: I think he neevr needs to change his voice. That's what I think. That when Freeman is speaking, noone else is going to speak. Where he has that status appeal, and with his voice it's like teachers, they won't raise their voice. They'll keep it at one tone and volume, to speak down to you. That voice of authoirty. I think he has that.

How do you feel with his voice? When you listen to his narration pieces, does his voice effect you in any way? For example, as if it's a voice of guidance, or...
JS: Well that all depends on his role of course.

1 comment:

Adam Bryant said...
This comment has been removed by the author.