Friday 17 October 2008

A Freeman Presentation

It was rushed, and you all know it! Aaagh!...

I gave an introduction to the rest of my FS class in referance to my SSR project on (yes, you guessed it) Mr. Morgan Freeman. I explained my hypothesis/statement, and what my intentions are for this segment of the course.

The presentation itself included a film clip from Bruce Almighty, which presents us with a personal and intimate conversation between main protagonist Bruce (Jim Carrey) and God (Freeman!). I chose this clip out of others for one significant factor, which I believed at the time (and still do) was that the scene shows us, the viewer, an insight to Bruce's experience of learning a lesson from a much higher power - God.



We copy what Bruce does, we attentively listen to Freeman's words of wisdom, as he gives the reporter only a few sentences with his authouritive voice, as only a few sentences is all Freeman needs to put us in a trance of a near-religious nature.

Oh isn't that a coinsedent? I'm talking about how Freeman fans and viewers can look at the performer as a religous character, and I just so happened to pick a scene where he plays (dare I say it "of all people,"), God himself!

With the presentation, it was down to either the closing scene of Bruce Almighty, or the ending scene of Se7en that would have been used to help back-up my hypothesis and thoughts of my subject, as either of the scenes put Freeman in a position of wisdom, understanding, and knowledge. However, the endings to each of the films have complete opposite resolutions (Bruce Almighty ends with a moral, which is sent with happiness and rejoice. Se7en however, portrays a much more tragic fall for protagonist Detective David Mills (Brad Pitt), as Freeman's character Detective William Somerset is seen distraught and defeated after failing his efforts to make cop David Mills do the right thing and surpress himself from commiting the last (and as portrayed in this film, the most dramatically inevitable) sin of the all, wrath.



*BACK TO THE PRESENTATION!

I got varied responses from my fellow Film Students, with their thoughts on Morgan Freeman's performances' effects in a film, but more importantly on their effects on the viewer. Most students referred to personal experiences, as so did I, but as a group we tread ground on the codes and conventions of Freeman's characters:
- The connections between each of his characters in a series of films he's appeared in.
- The performances themselves - critical analysis on his character's motives, attitudes, backgrounds, beliefs and perceptions.

At the closing moments of my presentation, I stated my future intentions and objectives:

1.) To research and explore the vast pool of thoughts and studies on Morgan Freeman and his characters, via blogs, discussion boards and Focus Groups.

2.) To research interviews of Morgan Freeman, and study his own thoughts and opinions on his performances through a range of his films; in particular, films that portray his characters as how Freeman himself is seen by his fan base - moralistic, wise, and fatherly.

*There's always room for improvement, and help would be much appreciated. Any links, videos, books, ect. on my subject that you may come across, please notify me...or else.

'"Or else" what?'.

'Oh I dunno, it's just an expression...'

1 comment:

MattPaul61 said...

Very nice.

Although, i don't think Somerset gives up completely at the end of Se7en. If anything the horror of what he experiences i believe galvanises his character: when asked by the chief, where he will be, Sommerset replies: "Around." That suggests to me that he will still be there, if he is needed. Also in the final (and might i add magnificent) end narration, he says "Ernest Hemingway once said, The world is a fine place and worth fighting. I agree with the second part." He is the voice of reason in an insane world. It's his mission to guide Mills (Brad Pitt) out of the darkness and into the light of hope. Mills is the youthful symbol of the future: he has everything going for him. This can also be seen to have parallels with Shawshank: Andy (Tim Robbins) represents Hope, and Freeman is his mentor, protecting Andy so to speak. Of course, Andy does prove hope exists by escaping. However, in Seven, Mills loses, and his life is destroyed. But in both films, Freeman is the anchor of the story: It is his voice we follow.

I looked in the Senate Library, and unfortunately there is nothing on Freeman, and barely anything on Stardom! (Only stuff about Classic Hollywood star system and Women in film.) So i am sorry i couldn't find anything there. You might want to borrow my copy of Seven: BFI modern Classics (which spookly is written by my teacher for Introduction to Film Studies at Kings), which might shed some academic light on Freeman's role. Nina might have the same book come to think of it.

Anyway. Keep up the good work. Oh, and put on some more Seven clips. In fact, i'm going to watch it now!!! hahaha.